Thursday, August 12, 2010

Strategic Network Building for Support

I'm going to go out on a limb here by saying that EVERYBODY has a network. No matter if you are 6 years old and your network is family and your classmates or you are Bill Gates and your network is extensive. But what is the use of a network if you can't utilize AND mobilize that network. The President/CEO of Cabrini Connections, Tutor/Mentor Connection, Dan Bassill, put together the graphic you see here in hopes that not only the organization's staff, students, and volunteers use it, but any and all of those connected to Cabrini Connections will use in order to continue to expand the organization's network that could essentially lead to a wider range of support.

Yesterday, after taking a moment to study the chart, I began to add names to the slots. This is easier said that done. True, I could have just threw names on the list, but I wanted to be strategic in my work. I looked at each category and really made an effort to add names of people who I first felt would be interested in the cause and then I considered the fact that they would either have the resources to support and/or could connect me to others in their network that could potentially respond with support also.

I put together a letter of support providing more information about who we are, what we do, and why I am involved and why others my want to get involved in some way. I also added a donation form so that after reading the information that was provided those people could easily contribute. I sent that information to nearly 40 people. The information went out to a wide range of people, from my mother and my father who will support me and my endeavors no matter what, to NFL stars such as Barry Cofield, Tyrell Sutton, and Orlando Pace who benefited from mentors and a support system on their road to success.

My number 1 goal is that everybody that receives the information takes the time to read the information and from that point decide how they can support. I am just one of over 2000+ people that are connected to Cabrini Connections in some way. If every current student, volunteer, staff, if every student, staff, and volunteer alumnus, and if every parent and/or former supporter of the program took 30 minutes out of their day atleast once a week and used this tool to strategically network build for Cabrini Connections not only would we expand our network greatly, but that would put us in a position to provide all of our students, volunteers, and staff with the resources necessary to be successful. And who doesn't want to be successful?...

No comments: