Friday, February 29, 2008

Using Blogs to Tell the Story

If you are reading this, then I hope you also have taken a moment to read the blogs listed on the right side of this page. For instance, Nicole's Blog has a great article today about how a woman in LA overcame gangs and poverty to create a great life for herself.

I've a collection of blog links in the Tutor/Mentor Connection web site. They offer many insights on poverty, education and uses of technology for learning. I collect these because they inspire my thinking and my actions. I hope you'll read them from time to time and let the ideas stimulate your own actions.

I also hope you'll look for ways to write or contribute to a blog, so you can tell your own story. I've heard many volunteer say "I've gotten more from being a volunteer than the student did." So, write about this. Share this with others. You'll inspire other people to get involved.

We'll hold our annual year in dinner in June, and my hope is that our current students will make an effort to locate our former students (more than 400!) so that we can begin to tell the stories of former students and volunteers.

What are they doing? Are they still connected to a volunteer or mentee? What do they remember from their days in Cabrini Connections, or the Cabrini-Green Tutoring Program at Montgomery Ward? Are they already writing a blog and we just don't know about it?

There are hundreds of tutor/mentor stories taking place every day. They can be inspiring to our current students and volunteers, and to other people thinking about starting tutor/mentor programs.

I hope you'll help us find and tell these stories.

No comments: