Monday, July 17, 2006

The Egdewood Experience

Kevin Here.
I am here at Cabrini Connections. I participated in the edgewood experience. I thought it to be fun, fascinating, and more fun. By the end of the day i was pooped out. I have joined the Edgewood college staff, students and friends for the last two years. I met many new people and have enjoyed so many fun encounters. Though the heat was scorching many people showed up for fun, fun, and new culture. I enjoy communicating with people. i.e. I talk alot!! This time people actually listened to me and enjoyed what I was saying. We all went on a scavenger hunt in the downtown chicago area. We hunted for Hotels such as the Embassey Suites and The Marriott. We Hunted for bussiness in the "Water Tower Place." We joked, and laughed, listened, and were just plain old friends. The best part of the whole deal was while searching for air conditioning and landmarks, we didn't even notice that three and a half hours flew by like five minutes. We managed to find everthing and get our answers down. We played jeopardy, every time anyone got an answer right, a prize was given. No one felt left out. We played a name game, which to be honest, confused the hell out me. "Wait which one is Keila?" In my opinion, the best part was that the whole thing was that it was done voluntary and we had a great time. I also enjoyed our game of sharades based on "showing whom we are." What a rare subject, as most adults dont even know who they are, and even if we do truly know, we are afraid to show. Well I got alot out of the day and it still isn't over. To make a great day, dont wait for anyone, do it your self.
Kevin

6 comments:

Kathryn D said...

I really enjoyed meeting all the kids who come to Cabrini, they were friendly and appreciated our companionship. It is good to see how the center is in the "heart" of the city, and that the community center offers a nice variety of choices throughout the year for these kids. I will be keeping in contact with some of the kids through e-mails in the future. Some of the experiences these kids have had already are quite interesting. We learn a lot from them just like they learn a lot from us!

CM said...

I have enjoyed meeting everyone at Cabrini. The kids and the staff were all very welcoming. This has truly been an experience of a lifetime and one that I will never forget. I loved meeting all of the kids and I learned more from them than they could learn from us.

Tom Holub said...

This is my seventh year with this project and my Graduate students continue to "raise the bar". The young adults we have worked with have been incredibly inspirational and the administrative team at Cabrini Connections make my job so helpful. We had some "bumps in the road" this year, but flexibility prevailed. I wholeheartedly thank the kids, my students and the staff for continuing to make the one of the greatest weeks of my summer.
Dr. Tom Holub

PS: Ana: Could you please speak to your local meteorologist before next July; it was too darn hot!

Lisa H. said...

Lisa said---Being able to return for a second year, I am so pleased to have gotten accuainted with more creative and talented youth from Cabrini. I feel so fortunate to have been able to learn more about the city, especially on our downtown adventures from our new friends. Best wishes to each and every one of you--keep on keepin' on!!! I really hope that our paths cross again!!

Tutor Mentor Connections said...

I hope that we can build a community of Edgewood and Cabrini Connections alumni in the discussion forums at http://www.tutormentorconnection.org

In this community alumni can work to help each other in careers, while working with Cabrini Connections and Edgewood College to help more kids come up the pipeline from poverty to careers.

I'd like to thank Tom and the leaders at Edgewood College for organizing this partnership.

Dan Bassill
Cabrini Connections

Anonymous said...

Ann here,an Edgewood student, who is really looking forward to meeting the summer 2007 group starting on Monday. I grew up outside Chicago and lived there till I was 28. It will be like coming home. Looking forward to spending time touring the Windy City with all of you....we have a great group of adults coming and are planning good times with you!